SubjectRe: [x86, patch] turn x86 VISWS into a generic architecture

* Yinghai Lu <yhlu.kernel@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ok. Mind sending a patch for this against tip/master? Both your
> > changes and the visws cleanups are all in there and are tested
> > through on typical hardware.
> >
> > (Also, there's the suggestion from Yinghai to first do the numa
> > init.)
>
> could change the numa.c to numaq.c too. that name is confusing..

agreed. Maybe rename it to numaq_32.c as well.

Then we could potentially eliminate the NUMAQ subarch altogether as well
and merge all it into arch/x86/kernel/numaq_quirks.c, just like we did
it for arch/x86/kernel/visws_quirks.c?

That reminds me, wouldnt it all be better in a single place, i.e. move
arch/x86/pci/visws.c into arch/x86/kernel/visws_quirks.c as well? Such
quirks are better viewed in their entirety in a single file, i'm not
sure it makes sense to spread them out.

This way, instead of having this mess of entire subarches, we'd have a
single, clean "quirks driver" file, conditionally buildable into the
generic PC code, that would register itself with all the generic quirk
hooks that are needed for a given weird box.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-07-11 11:15    [W:0.209 / U:0.020 seconds]