    SubjectRe: [RFC] simple dprobe like markers for the kernel
    Hi -

    On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:30:17AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:

    > [...] When you said a tool could determine if the tracepoint had
    > gotten optimized away, or the variables were no longer present, I
    > assume you meant at compile time, right? So with the right tool
    > built into the kbuild infrastructure, if we could simply print
    > warnings when tracepoints had gotten optimized away [...]

    It will be interesting to see how frequently such a warning appears
    for a good suite of such mini markers, on a diversity of architectures
    and compilers. Such data can help pronounce judgement on this approach.

    > P.S. When you said that the current kernel markers are "a bit
    > heavyweight", how bad are they in practice? Hundreds of cycles? More?

    Good question. The only performance measurements I have seen posted
    indicate negligible effects.

    - FChE

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-10 20:23    [W:0.020 / U:7.816 seconds]