SubjectRe: [regression?] 2.6.26 floppy boot failure with kernel packed using 'upx'
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
>> Important factor here is that we "pack" the kernel using upx [1] (in order
>> to fit everything on a floppy). The original (unpacked) kernel after this
>> commit boots fine, only a packed version fails.
>> We have tried upx versions 2.01, 3.01 and 3.03, all with same result.
>
> Ok, I do not consider this to be a regression.
>
> Clearly UPX is expecting a very specific kernel format, and clearly UPX
> just needs to be updated for the changes.
>
> That said, if some UPX person can explain what it is that UPX needs, maybe
> we can add some format markers into the kernel (and perhaps some extra
> header info) so that future format changes are transparent or at least
> break in obvious ways.

The issue with UPX is that UPX actually wants to replace the kernel
decompressor, which also does other tasks (relocation and ELF parsing)
in recent kernels.

-hpa

  Last update: 2008-07-10 19:53    [W:1.533 / U:0.152 seconds]