SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for June 5
Vegard Nossum wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hm, I think I'm wrong and the code is correct. However...

>>> Thanks Vegard for tracking this down. My thoughts were along the same
>>> wavelength... ;-)

>> This is a P4 3.0GHz with 1 physical CPU (but HT, so two logical CPUs).
>> Yet node 4 is claimed to have a cpu too. That's bogus!
>>
>> (But I don't think it's an error in sched.c any more, probably the
>> code that sets up the node maps.)
>
> Aha.
>
> The error is of course that the node masks for nodes > nr_node_ids are
> not valid. While this function ignores that:
>
> cpumask_t *_node_to_cpumask_ptr(int node)
> {
> if (node_to_cpumask_map == NULL) {
> printk(KERN_WARNING
> "_node_to_cpumask_ptr(%d): no node_to_cpumask_map!\n",
> node);
> dump_stack();
> return &cpu_online_map;
> }
> return &node_to_cpumask_map[node];
> }
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(_node_to_cpumask_ptr);
>
> Notice the return statement. It needs to check if node < nr_node_ids.
>

> Vegard

Thanks, yes I had that some after thought. It should check the node
index if CONFIG_DEBUG_PER_CPU_MAPS is enabled. One gotcha is that
nr_node_ids is intialized to MAX_NUMNODES until setup_node_to_cpumask_map()
sets it to the correct value. So uses before that should be caught by
the earlier check.

Mike

  Last update: 2008-06-06 16:23    [W:0.458 / U:0.016 seconds]