SubjectRe: AT32 ASoC Driver Patches on alsa-devel
Geoffrey Wossum <> wrote:
> For anyone that's interested, there's patches to add ALSA System-on-Chip sound
> platform drivers for the AVR32 being discussed on the alsa-devel mailing list
> right now.

Hmm. For something that depends on a metric shitload of middle layers,
it is surprisingly large...

I have to admit I don't understand the current sound situation at all.
With this driver, we now have:
* An OSS driver for the AP7000 Audio Bitstream DAC
* A "regular" ALSA driver for the AC97C (not based on ASoC)
* Two different "generic" AC97 layers: one in sound/pci/ac97 and one
in sound/soc/ac97 (the AC97C driver uses the former)
* An i2s driver for the AT73C213 chip using the SSC controller and SPI
* Another SSC driver based on the ASoC layer
* Some sort of "AT32 PCM" layer which apparently can only be used
with the SSC controller
* The above two being essentially identical to similar drivers for

Can someone please help me out here? In particular, what is ASoC and
why should I want to use it?