SubjectRe: Inquiry: Should we remove "isolcpus= kernel boot option? (may have realtime uses)
Date
Hi Max,

On Wednesday 04 June 2008, Max Krasnyanskiy wrote:
> btw Ingo, I just realized that maxcpu= option is exactly what you need.
> Here is how you can use it.
> Boot your system with maxcpus=1. That way the kernel will only bring up
> processor 0. I'm assuming cpu0 is "good" otherwise your system is totally
> busted :). Other cpus will stay off-line and will not be initialized.
> Then once the system boots you can selectively bring "good" processors online
> by doing
> echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuN/online

I just tested it on the Ubuntu Hardy standard kernel on an AMD DualCore.
The /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1 entry doesn't show up.

I can send you the dmesg/config in private, if you want.

Did you test your suggestion?

After our discussion, I tried to find the right spot to implement
"disablecpus=" myself, but couldn't find the right position to hook it up.

If your idea would work out, I would ACK it. Even in bold :-)

Best Regards

Ingo Oeser

  Last update: 2008-06-04 18:33    [W:0.100 / U:0.124 seconds]