    SubjectShould a block device enforce block atomicity?

    I have a question about block devices and whether they are required to
    enforce block atomicity:

    I read the code of drivers/block/brd.c, and I didn't see any locking
    when blocks are read/written. I also looked at the block layer code
    that calls brd and didn't find any locking there. Does it mean that
    there's no block atomicity (i.e. multiple threads can write a single
    block at the same time)? Is there any hidden assumption here? Is this
    the responsibility of the application to do that (e.g. not start a
    WRITE request before other READ/WRITE requests to the same block were

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-06-30 08:55    [W:0.024 / U:5.300 seconds]