SubjectRe: [RFC v1] Tunable sched_mc_power_savings=n
* David Collier-Brown <davecb@sun.com> [2008-06-29 14:02:58]:

> Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> said on Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:38:53 +0200:

>>> They already won't do that if you run ondemand and cpufreq. It won't
>>> crank up the frequency for niced processes.
>

> Tim Connors then wrote:
>> Shouldn't there be a powernice, just as there is an ionice and a nice?
> Hmmn, how about:
>
> User Commands nice(1)
>
> NAME
> nice - invoke a command with an altered priority
>
> SYNOPSIS
> /usr/bin/nice [-increment | -n increment] [-s|-i|-e|-p] command [argu-
> ment...]
>
> DESCRIPTION
> The nice utility invokes command, requesting that it be run
> with a different priority. If -i is specified, the priority
> of (disk) I/O is modified. If -e is specified, ethernet (or
> other networking) priority is changed. If -p is specified, power
> usage priority is changed and if -s is specified, or none of -1,
> -e or -p is specified, then system scheduling priority
> is modified...

This is good. We are exploring powernice. 'Generally' cpu, io and
power nice values should be similar: high or low. Can we comeup with
use cases where we want to have conflicting nice values for cpu, io
and power?

CPU IO POWER
distcc: low low low
firefox: low high high
ssh/shell: high high high
X: high high low

I am trying to find answer to the question: Should we have the power
saving tunable as 'nice' value per process or system wide?

How should we interpret the POWER parameter in a datacenter with power
constraint as mentioned in this thread? Or in a simple case of AC vs
battery in a laptop.

Thanks,
Vaidy

  Last update: 2008-06-30 07:01    [W:0.079 / U:0.192 seconds]