SubjectRe: Squashfs mainlining status?
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Phillip,
>
> I was wondering what's the status of mainlining squashfs?
> Is there anything I can do to help?

I am currently working on this. A re-write and merge of the Squashfs
metadata and fragment cache code has been finished (it is in the
Squashfs CVS tree). The original implementation had a number of
performance issues which I wanted to address before resubmission.

The major work of course is the move to a little endian layout without
any bit fields in the structures to make it easier to swap member fields
on big-endian architectures. I'm currently working on this on a non-CVS
branch. Most of the work till now has been without any attempt to
retain backwards compatibility with the current 3.3 little-endian
filesystem layout. After your private email regarding retaining
backwards compatibility I will look again at this issue, it may well be
that I will abandon my current layout changes that I have so far made.

I have taken time off work to work on the necessary mainline changes
full time (unpaid unfortunately, so I need to look for another job
soon). Hopefully this will mean I will make better progress than I have
been able to in the last couple of years.

Phillip

  Last update: 2008-06-04 05:19    [W:0.081 / U:0.244 seconds]