SubjectRe: ABI change for device drivers using future AVX instruction set
Avi Kivity wrote:

>>> A new one, of course.
>>>

>> With that we would be eventually in the mess Agner talked about.
>>

> If you use xsave, I don't see how this is different to the user fpu save
> area.

For once there's no clear error handling path for allocation failures
on the (arbitarily sized) xsave state. On user code that can be barely
tolerated, but for the kernel it would be deadly.

-Andi

  Last update: 2008-06-29 15:25    [W:0.248 / U:0.044 seconds]