SubjectRe: ABI change for device drivers using future AVX instruction set
Andi Kleen wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:
>

>> This is fixable.
>>

> Sure nearly everything is fixable, but why would you want to do that?
>
> For me the best fix currently seems to be to just not do that
> when it hurts.

We already use sse in the kernel (raid), presumably disabling preemption
there hurts some workloads.

With sse/avx gaining more features, we may see more requirements for
kernel fpu.

>> We could change kernel_fpu_begin() not to disable
>> preemption, but instead set a task flag. When we get the "no device"
>> fault, if the flag is set, save the fpu state into the kernel fpu save
>> area
>>

> What kernel fpu save area do you mean?

A new one, of course.

  Last update: 2008-06-29 14:35    [W:0.042 / U:0.716 seconds]