    SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for June 13: IO APIC breakage on HP nx6325
    On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > > You may argue this is a regression, but this is simply the cost paid
    > > for progress -- the kernel stays within the spec as defined both by
    > > ACPI and MPS, we have just started using a different configuration now
    > > and an interrupt source override provided by the manufacturer
    > > explicitly states INTIN2 is good to use. In a sense you were simply
    > > lucky previously the kernel was bad enough with the way it configured
    > > the timer through the I/O APIC it failed completely avoiding the bug
    > > in your firmware. Now the bug has got uncovered.
    >
    > well as long as we eliminate the bad effects around via DMI exceptions
    > nobody will feel the need to argue whether it's a regression ;-) [this
    > problem could be argued to be a regression, even if it's caused by prior
    > luck/stupidity of Linux. We have to live with the effects of our
    > mistakes.]

    Of course -- this is the only reason I can be bothered with the issue in
    the first place. Otherwise, I would have said: 'Get the manufacturer to
    fix it, use "noapic" or live with a local patch.'

    This is actually how I have kept one of my old MPS SMP systems up for
    years now -- it has a broken MP table which prevents interrupts from
    working when too many PCI option cards are present, so I have prepared a
    patch for patching the table manually. I proposed it once, which you may
    recall, but it was rejected on the grounds of the syntax being too tough
    to comprehend to a poor average user being. I am sure more systems would
    benefit as MP table breakages used to be quite common.

    Here the simple workaround was "noapic" too, so everyone else could be
    happy and I have been happy to keep the patch and use the capabilities of
    the piece of hardware properly despite its broken firmware.

    Maciej

      Last update: 2008-06-29 22:19    [W:0.031 / U:1.724 seconds]