SubjectRe: ALC883 recording troubles...
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> At Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:00:17 +0100,
> Daniel J Blueman wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:

>> > Could you elaborate? The mic bias level could be changed via the pin
>> > control value. Usually, it's set as VREF 80%.
>>
>> When the recording->capture level is set to 0, the mic has no DC
>> offset as expected. Maxing the recording->capture level, the mic input
>> is saturated, in between, we see a linear connection.

>> > This is a known bug in alsa-lib mixer abstraction. No kernel issue.

>> > You can find *.INI file that contains the default pin configuration
>> > in Windows. This might be useful in the case BIOS is broken but
>> > Windows does a black magic.
>>
>> That'll be these defaults stashed in the INF file [2]. Let me know if
>> it's not what you expected and I'll publish the complete INF file.
>>
>> > Anyway, please run alsa-info.sh with --no-upload option and show the
>> > generated file here. It contains the codec information and mixer
>> > setup.
>> > http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
>>
>> See [3].
>>
>> > Also, you can adjust the pin setting on the fly via hda-verb utility
>> > below:
>> > http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/tiwai/misc/hda-verb-0.2.tar.bz2
>> >
>> > Don't forget to build snd-hda-intel module with
>> > CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y to use this command.
>>
>> I'll give this a shot if I get time.
>
> You can try to adjust VREF value of mic pins.
> For example, the node 0x18 and 0x19 correspond to the rear and front
> mics, respectively. Then run the following as root:
>
> # ./hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x18 SET_PIN_WID 0x21
>
> which will change the widget 0x18 (rear mic) to input-VREF 50%
> (0x21). The original value is input-VREF 80% (0x24).

As the mic is working fine, but with this variable DC offset, it felt
like something needed tweaking in the mixer (summation) node. I
understand more about the node connectivity now, and found muting the
front mic mixer input and setting LR gain to 0 at mixer node 23h
addresses the issue:

(from page 42 at ftp://66.104.77.130/pc/audio/ALC883_DataSheet_1.3.pdf)

# ./hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x23 SET_AMP_GAIN_MUTE 0x7180

Vegard - your HD bus enumeration looks similar and I'd bet the vendor
followed the same Realtek application note, so can you give this a
shot too? If not, try mixer node 20h.

My motherboard (Asus P5E-VM HDMI) has front-panel HD-audio (selectable
as legacy in the BIOS) connectors, but I've never been able to get
them working, so left the cables disconnected...surely not a board
design issue, as default pin configuration wouldn't explain the
offset?

Thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman

  Last update: 2008-06-28 02:07    [W:1.874 / U:0.072 seconds]