    > From: Andreas Gruenbacher <>
    > The path that __d_path() computes can become slightly inconsistent when it
    > races with mount operations: it grabs the vfsmount_lock when traversing mount
    > points but immediately drops it again, only to re-grab it when it reaches the
    > next mount point. The result is that the filename computed is not always
    > consisent, and the file may never have had that name. (This is unlikely, but
    > still possible.)
    > Fix this by grabbing the vfsmount_lock for the whole duration of
    > __d_path().

    Umm... I don't see problems with doing that, but I hope you realize that
    the notion of "ever having that name" is not the same as "pathnam resolution
    on that name ever leading to that file" - path_walk() is *NOT* atomic
    wrt rename() (or mount --move, indeed) and it's quite possible to walk
    into subdirectory, have it moved under you, then see .. as the next pathname
    component and step out into new parent.

    Said that, it makes sense to avoid dropping/regaining the lock in that
    case - it's less work and I don't believe that it would increase contention
    on vfsmount_lock. So I'm applying that one, just be careful with assumptions
    about consistency, etc. in the general area.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-06-23 16:05    [W:0.020 / U:64.932 seconds]