[lkml]   [2008]   [Jun]   [21]   [last100]   RSS Feed

SubjectRe: [Cbe-oss-dev] [regression/bisected] corrupt CD data after media change and delay
    [dropped David Martin from CC: list as I get permanent delivery errors]

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Alessandro Suardi
    <alessandro.suardi@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
    > <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
    >>> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Geert Uytterhoeven
    >>> <Geert.Uytterhoeven@sonycom.com> wrote:
    >>> > On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    >>> >> When mounting a CD/DVD more than 30 seconds after inserting it, and reading
    >>> >> from it, we get:
    >>> >
    >>> > Apparently the fix didn't make it to all the CCed lists...
    >>> >
    >>> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Fjejb%2Fscsi-rc-fixes-2.6.git;a=commitdiff_plain;h=d1daeabf0da5bfa1943272ce508e2ba785730bf0
    >>>
    >>> Oh, that's in mainline ? I still have the problem of having to
    >> Not yet, it's in the scsi-rc-fixes-2.6 tree.
    >>> insert DVD / try accessing it and get errors / eject / re-insert
    >>> and then it magically works... the messages have changed
    >>> from what they were as reported here
    >>>
    >>> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10116
    >>>
    >>> (see comments #8 and #9) to these ones, in 2.6.26-rc6-git4:
    >>>
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result:
    >>> hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x3 [current]
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x0
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 232
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 29
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 30
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 31
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 32
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 33
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 34
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 35
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 36
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 37
    >>> Jun 17 22:38:43 sandman kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 38
    >>>
    >>> here I eject and reinsert the disc, and:
    >>>
    >>> Jun 17 22:39:10 sandman kernel: UDF-fs: No VRS found
    >>>
    >>> lo and behold, no problem.
    >>>
    >>> This does not, alas, happen every time. It might be at the first
    >>> DVD access after booting the laptop, but I haven't investigated
    >>> in this detail yet.
    >> Does /sys/block/sr0/size reflect the correct size of the DVD?
    >> Did you try applying the patch?
    > ATM I'm away from home (as usual), I'll post back when
    > I have the info you asked for and tried applying the
    > above patch. Thanks !

Sigh. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem once since
    I posted this. Will keep trying...

--alessandro

"Give me love / Or give me hate
    Give me anything that's not just ok"

(Sophia, 'Weightless')