SubjectRe: Future Linux on Bistable Storage
Hello,

Thanks for your responses. You convinced me I/O initiatilisation cannot
be improved upon.

> unless there has been a breakthrough that I haven't heard about (always
> possible) I seriously doubt that this is the case.

Oh wait... I'm talking of upcoming technologies, not established ones!

> the alternate technologies that I have heard about are either _far_ less
> dense then DRAM (similar to static ram) or require erasing in blocks
> (similar to flash).

NanoRAM for one sounds like it can achieve very high densities and high
speeds in coming years. A slideshow from a researcher gives numbers:

http://www.imechanica.org/files/Proposal-MNRAM.pdf

100 GHz speeds, 100 T/cm2 -- and it's all bistable so no power is consumed
to keep it going, as is a limitation with DRAM. With a cm2 of that I don't
think we'd care for a HDD or for DRAM anymore.

> Perhaps one of the more key stepping stones here is execution in place
> (XIP) support [...] Maybe [...] we should consider XIP-for-ramdisk
> (rather than ROM/flash).

That's the sort of thing I was hoping to spark -- I hadn't seen XIP but
it does sound like a limited form of the kind of thing that would integrate
memory/disk into one large bowl of bits. Thanks for the pointer!

> Anyway, from a mmap() perspective, we'd be logically merging the
> filesystem and pagecache layers and losing a layer of physical
> indirection.

Something like that... a smooth exchange between memory pages and disk
pages, where it would even be possible for a page to be part of both,
a bit like XIP indeed.

> One major difference between disk and RAM is the tradeoffs between size,
> speed, and price. It's highly unlikely that any one technology will ever
> beat all others in both of the usage patterns which are normal for RAM and
> disk in devices considered by their users to be "computers".

I beg to differ. If the numbers above are anything to go on, that is.
We have a tendency to think of DRAM as something that can grow without
bounds, but its power consumption and consequential dissipation due to
refreshing do limit it, for example when applied in a mobile device.

Refreshes occur ~1000 times a second for all cells in DRAM, AFAIK.
That's rather a lot of data being read and rewritten each second!
No wonder the chips heat up, and consequently cannot be stacked to
form a cubic memory structure.

> I think current ramdisk code skips [buffering disk blocks].

That'd help, but I'm not sure the concepts of memory and ramdisk should
be kept separate if this architecture I am thinking of would come through.

You have helped to answer my question, whether Linux was ready for the
architecture that I talked about: it already contains seedlings for its
support, so it does not seem to conflict with Linux' major architecture.
That's good news!

Thanks,

Rick van Rein
GroenGemak

  Last update: 2008-06-02 23:13    [W:0.306 / U:0.896 seconds]