Subject[RFC] generic GPIO parameter API
Hi,

as far as I understand, the current GPIO API only presents very basic GPIO
functionality: direction and level reading and writing. Whereas many GPIO
controllers have many further configurable parameters: pull-ups and
pull-downs, drive strength, slew rate, etc. And it is desirable to be able
to access those features too. Of course, we cannot extent the API with all
these possible functions. Would a generic GPIO parameter handling API be
desirable? Like

struct gpio_parameter {
char *name;
void *arg;
int (*get)(struct gpio_chip *chip, void *arg, unsigned offset,
int value);
int (*set)(struct gpio_chip *chip, void *arg, unsigned offset,
int value);
};

int gpio_register_parameter(struct gpio_chip *chip, struct gpio_parameter
*param);
struct gpio_parameter *gpio_find_parameter(struct gpio_chip *chip, char
*name);

The parameters should be accessible from the kernel and over sysfs, based
on the gpio-sysfs interface. Would this be useful?

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.

  Last update: 2008-06-02 19:25    [W:0.084 / U:0.632 seconds]