    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Request for discussion on when to merge drivers
    On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, James Bottomley wrote:

    > Arguably, I can do this by putting it into my upstream tree (which feeds
    > into linux-next) the reason for not doing so is that Linus likes us to
    > preserve history in there when we can.

    This of course applies only for branches/trees for which there are
    downstream git users.

    If the only reason you merge the driver into your tree is to have it
    propagated into linux-next, you could very well create a separate branch
    for it, and pull this branch into the one linux-next pulls from you (I
    guess you have a dedicated branch for linux-next which is safe to be
    rebased by definition, right?).

    > If I need to pull the driver for a reroll it really screws the git
    > history

    But not in any of the branches that have upstream git users.

    --
    Jiri Kosina
    SUSE Labs

      Last update: 2008-06-19 01:51    [W:0.023 / U:29.776 seconds]