    SubjectRe: AZFS file system proposal
    On Tue, 17 June 2008 11:35:10 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > On Tuesday 2008-06-17 11:06, Maxim Shchetynin wrote:
    >
    > >I would say you can either mmap it or place a file system on it.
    >
    > The help text implies that I *need* azfs to mmap it - and that sounds
    > like a Rube Goldberg machine.

    Some people actually prefer filesystems over raw devices for a variety
    of reasons:
    - each file brings its own address space, which offers memory protection
    from other processes,
    - files can have owners and permission bits,
    - files hide the fragmentation of the underlying device from users,
    - a file system provides a common and well-understood api for devices
    with less common or well-understood apis,
    - etc.

    Those reasons are as valid for azfs as for any other filesystem. I have
    no doubt that azfs is useful. It probably wouldn't hurt to express the
    merits of the filesystem and the problems it is supposed to solve a
    little better. So far most criticism was based on the fact that noone
    understood what the hell it was all about.

    My personal question when looking at this is: Why not use ext2? It
    appears to me that an ext2 mounted with '-o xip' would solve the same
    problems.

    Jörn

    --
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
    are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic