    SubjectRe: Serial problem and request for guidance..
    On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    >> Some of my serial rx data gets lost.
    >
    > Which hardware ?

    It's a range of platforms/kernel versions and scenarios.
    Currently it happens with a bluetooth device connected to standard UART
    on ARM (OMAP) with an old 2.6.14 kernel, but only when I enable the
    debug macros of the line discipline code (hci_h4, hci_ldisc,..).
    When a big chunk of data arrives, more than
    half of it is lost. even on 115200. But when I turn of the debug macros (BT_DBG
    macros which are simply a bunch of prinks) the problem disappears. So I suspect
    there are some nasty timing issues which lead to data loss.

    I encountered similar problems last year even on a PC, with pre 2.6.21 kernels
    (around 2.6.19 or even earlier IIRC) but it was all gone with 2.6.21 and 2.6.22.
    Currently I have totally different machines, and these devices tend now to come
    with USB-to-serial connectors so I'm not quite sure about up-to-date
    kernels yet.

    All I can say is that it is nasty and very hard to debug, and I'm not quite sure
    how can I debug it as I find the serial/tty subsystems a bit perplexing.

    I know this is not necessarily relevant to the tip of the kernel, and it still
    lacks many details, but any guidance towards how can I debug it will
    be much appreciated. If I will successfully reproduce it with a current
    kernel I promise a full and detailed bug report.

    Thank you for your time and patience !
    Nameer.

      Last update: 2008-06-17 23:35    [W:0.022 / U:30.624 seconds]