    SubjectRe: [GIT]: Networking

    * David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> wrote:

    > > just to clarify the bug pattern: the box was still accessible after
    > > the warning. So this is a far less serious problem and i'd suggest
    > > we open up a separate regression entry for it and consider the
    > > hung-TCP problem closed. (i havent seen the hang in the last week,
    > > with either version of the tcp-accept reverts)
    >
    > It is a warning that just means the transmitted on the network device
    > stalled for an unusually long period of time. Is your subnet flooded
    > when these warnings occur? Is the remove side system wedged or at a
    > very high load when the message triggers?

    yes, both the network and the testbox is at relatively high load, it's a
    distcc kernel build over the network. Thousands of such iterations were
    done successfully without this warning ever triggering - it triggered
    for the first time in about 10,000 bootups the moment i applied your
    version of the reverts. When i applied the small diff the warning did
    not come back.

    > All of these would be useful points of information to determine if
    > this might be normal or not.
    >
    > In theory, if the remove port the device is connected to gets
    > extremely congested, emits a pause frame to your machine, but never
    > releases that pause, this (new) warning could trigger.
    >
    > This warning was added by Arjan in 2.6.25 FYI in order to diagnose the
    > not-normal cases better.

    ok, should we then remove that warning, if it's spurious? kerneloops.org
    has picked up a few other instances of this warning as well:

    http://www.kerneloops.org/searchfile.php?search=net%2Fsched%2Fsch_generic.c&btnG=Filename+Search

    Ingo

      Last update: 2008-06-14 10:21    [W:0.022 / U:302.488 seconds]