    SubjectRe: workqueue cpu affinity
    On 06/11, Max Krasnyansky wrote:

    > Oleg Nesterov wrote:
    > >
    > > Yes, it is easy to implement flush_work(struct work_struct *work) which
    > > only waits for that work, so it can't hang unless it was enqueued on the
    > > isolated cpu.
    > >
    > > But in most cases it is enough to just do
    > >
    > > if (cancel_work_sync(work))
    > > work->func(work);
    > Cool. That would work.
    > btw Somehow I thought that you already implemented flush_work(). I do not see
    > it 2.6.25 but I could've sworn that I saw a patch flying by. Must have been
    > something else. Do you mind adding that ?

    Well... I don't think Andrew will take this patch right now... OK, I'll send
    the preparation patch with comments. Do you see an immediate user for this
    helper?

    > > Or we can add flush_workqueue_cpus(struct workqueue_struct *wq, cpumask_t *cpu_map).
    > That'd be special casing. I mean something will have to know what cpus cannot
    > be flushed.

    OK, we can make it flush_workqueue_except_isolated_cpus(struct workqueue_struct *wq).

    > I liked your proposal above much better.

    it was Peter who suggested this ;)

    > > But I don't think we should change the behaviour of flush_workqueue().
    > >
    > >> This will require a bit of surgery across the entire tree. There is a lot of
    > >> code that calls flush_scheduled_work()
    > >
    > > Almost all of them should be changed to use cancel_work_sync().
    >
    > That'd be a lot of changes.
    >
    > git grep flush_scheduled_work | wc
    > 154 376 8674
    >
    > Hmm, I guess maybe not that bad. I might actually do that :-).

    Cool! I _bet_ you will find a lot of bugs ;)

    Oleg.

      Last update: 2008-06-12 18:37    [W:0.021 / U:62.108 seconds]