SubjectRe: [2.6.26-rc4] Problems with rt2x00 USB interface on powerpc
Hi, Ivo and John.

On Jun 11 2008, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 06:36:05AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > I don't know if you received my earlier message.
> >
> > On Jun 08 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > Correction here: I just went to the ia32 notebook again and, now,
> > > running Ubuntu's hardy kernel (which is a patched 2.6.24 kernel,
> > > AFAIK---yes, it is; just checked it) I could make the D-Link stick
> > > work fine.
> >
> > The only problem that I had is that I had to reissue the command
> > "iwconfig wlan0 ap any" or, otherwise, the connection with the AP
> > would be dropped (I can get a log for you to peruse, if you wish).

Let me be a bit more detailed here: when I connected the D-Link stick on
the ia32 notebook with Ubuntu's 2.6.24 kernel, if I *didn't* issue the
command "iwconfig wlan0 ap any" *periodically* (say, with
# while true; iwconfig wlan0 ap any; sleep 10; done
), then the connection would die: the dmesg logs would indicate that the
AP lost connection with the stick.

By the way, I see this exactly same behaviour with the rt61pci driver on
the same machine (with the only difference being that the interface name
is ra0 instead of wlan0): I even put a cron job to issue the command
every minute, so that my parents (which are using a PCMCIA card that
uses the rt61pci) don't have to learn about the nasty things of
networking.

Anyway, I would be happy to get the D-Link USB stick getting a lease
from the AP as a first step. This way, I think that I could help you
both much more than what I can now, and I would be a step closer into
the direction of ditching MacOS X.

> What does "iwconfig wlan0" show _before_ doing the "iwconfig wlan0 ap any"?

Actually, it shows the output that I listed before in the mail that had
the script "levanta.sh" attached (which was blocked by many people's
e-mail servers): both interfaces up and configured with the same AP (but
the ra0 one with the DHCP daemon disabled).

(In that message, I mentioned something along the lines: notice that the
Signal Strength is reported to be higher on the ra0 interface than on
the wlan0, despite both working on ia32).

Regards, Rogério Brito.

P.S.: Sorry for an e-mail not more detailed. I'm not with physical
access to my parent's notebook.