    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] linux-staging tree created
    On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:00:12PM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > Hi Greg.
    > On Tue, 2008-06-10 at 20:29 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 11:05:46AM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
    > > > Hi.
    > > >
    > > > Would you consider including TuxOnIce in it?
    > > >
    > > > I do still want to get it merged and would appreciate feedback.
    > >
    > > Is the patch "stand-alone", only adding new code in discrete chunks like
    > > a new driver or filesystem would?
    > The patch I distribute now does have a few parts to it that could be
    > separated into distinct patches (cryptoapi LZF support, fuse freezer
    > support), but the bulk of it is TuxOnIce itself, which just adds new
    > files and inserts the hooks necessary to share the lowlevel code with
    > [u]swsusp. I think, therefore, it would akin to adding a new driver or
    > filesystem.
    > > If not, I don't think it is relevant. Odds are you want to be your own
    > > series of patches, like we discussed years ago, right?
    > I don't think I do want to have my own series of patches, because
    > TuxOnIce doesn't remove or rework swsusp or uswsusp, but sits along side
    > them. I'm not trying to mutate swsusp into TuxOnIce, because that would
    > require a complete rework of swsusp from the ground up (TuxOnIce does
    > everything but the atomic copy/restore and associated prep/cleanup
    > differently).

    Like always, you need to divide your changes up into logical chunks in
    order to get them approved and reviewed. For such a core functionality
    like suspend, this is extra important.

    I do not think that -staging is proper for this kind of feature at this
    point in time.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2008-06-11 18:31    [W:0.041 / U:65.364 seconds]