SubjectRe: - jbd-strictly-check-for-write-errors-on-data-buffers.patch removed from -mm tree
Hello Andrew,

akpm@linux-foundation.org wrote:

> The patch titled
> jbd: strictly check for write errors on data buffers
> has been removed from the -mm tree. Its filename was
> jbd-strictly-check-for-write-errors-on-data-buffers.patch
>
> This patch was dropped because I don't think we want to go read-only on file data write errors
>
> The current -mm tree may be found at http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/mmotm/

> Subject: jbd: strictly check for write errors on data buffers
> From: Hidehiro Kawai <hidehiro.kawai.ez@hitachi.com>

This patch series doesn't change the behavior on file data write
errors as I stated before, but we found that the current behavior has
been made accidentally. So yesterday I sent an additional patch(*)
which removes the invocation of journal_abort() and thus stop making
the fs read-only on file data write errors, but it seems to be late
for the -mm release preparation.

Patch(*) can be found at:

Anyway, as this patch series was dropped from -mm, I'm going to
send a revised version.

I plan to separate these pathces into three patche set.
The first patch (set) corrects the current behavior in ordered
writes, it means it removes the invocation of journal_abort() on file
data write errors. It is the almost same as the patch(*).
The second patch set fixes error handlings for metadata writes and
checkpointing. It should be applied independently of the first
patch set, and it is the same as PATCH 3/5 to 5/5.
The third patch set makes "abort the journal on file data write errors"
tunable for mission critical users. Of course, this feature depends
on the first patch set.

Any comments?

Regards,
--
Hidehiro Kawai
Hitachi, Systems Development Laboratory

  Last update: 2008-06-10 10:55    [W:0.074 / U:0.076 seconds]