SubjectRe: regression fixed by using pci=rom

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> Hm, yeah in many cases we definitely *do* want to try to get the expansion ROM
> space allocated. But maybe it should be a lower priority than other BARs...
> Gary?

The thing is, a lot of these things have been done this way because not
doing them that way breaks.

We want to allocate expansion ROM space - even if we don't enable it -
because not doing so will screw up bus sizing etc, and can make it
impossible to allocate later.

In general, changing PCI allocation strategy is really _really_ dangerous,
even when it is "right", because it tends to expose a lot of issues where
something worked just because it was perhaps indirectly causing a layout
that worked.

So the reason I immediately reverted this is that it was simply totally
wrong. If somebody cares about multi-node systems, the onus of making
those work should be on *that*, not on old systems that already work.

Ingo, Thomas: I would _seriously_ suggest that you don't consider the x86
PCI setup code to be "x86" code. Because it isn't. Not in that sense. Just
don't take patches to it.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-05-09 03:51    [W:0.065 / U:2.124 seconds]