SubjectRe: Compact Flash Question
On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:27:14AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 06:46:25PM +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > Silicon Systems CompactFlashes are the among the most reliable
> > CompactFlashes I have used in embedded devices. See also
> > http://www.siliconsystems.com/silicondrive/whitepapers/SSWP03-Endurance-R.pdf
> > for a whitepaper that explains their wear leveling and error
> > correction algorithms. Furthermore, Silicon Systems has a technology
> > called SiSMART that allows to monitor by how far the CompactFlash is
> > worn out, such that it can be monitored whether or not it is time to
> > replace the CompactFlash. (Note: I am not affiliated in any way to
> > Silicon Systems.)
>
> We too have switched to Silicon Systems and are very happy with them.
> And even industrial temperature versions are hardly expensive. They may
> cost more than you pay for a generic slow piece of junk at a retail
> store, but you are getting a better card.

Interestingly, we once got a bunch of those and had a lot of problems
with them. Typically unbootable systems. We finally noticed that there
was a real corruption problem, because 3 MD5s of the kernel in a row
returned 3 different values. Our provider assured us that he never heard
about that, and insisted that we try again on a new batch. We have had
no trouble since. I guess we really got a bad batch. At least it was
noticeable early in the deployment process (the worst ones being a few
days after installation). However, we never had any problem with PQI
industrial.

> Len Sorensen

Willy

  Last update: 2008-05-08 17:07    [W:0.075 / U:0.048 seconds]