SubjectRe: intel-iommu: CONFIG_DMAR*=y kills my box
On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:15:54PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 01:04:45 +0200
> Gabriel C <nix.or.die@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >

> Guys, it's really painful having to scroll through thousand-line emails to
> find a few lines of information. Please trim stuff.
>

> > > I do find it quite odd that a DMA code path specific to PCIE is somehow
> > > in the loop for a parallel port device. Should this be possible?
> >
> > I have no idea =) ( PCI folks added to CC )
> >

> > > I could easily be wrong so feel free to correct me but;
> > > I think your bios is goofy / unprepared to support IOMMU / VT-d and
> > > doing strange things with enumerated a parallel port on a PCIE bus with
> > > VTD is turned on...
> >
> > I will contact ASUS peoples about the BIOS but it has for sure VT-d support and it is enabled.
>
> So.. what happened here? It seems like a pretty fatal problem, and
> personally I don't think that contacting vendors about BIOS upgrades is a
> suitable general solution. It would be much better to find a kernel-based
> fix or workaround?

I just got some expert advice on this issue. I will try again and look
for a problem with the iommu code getting executed before the USB / PCI
bus is fully initialized.

also, I just realized that I was attempting to reproduce the failure on
the MM tree, and re-reading the report I see its on the linux-next tree.

I'm retesting it this am.

--mgross

  Last update: 2008-05-08 16:39    [W:0.774 / U:0.020 seconds]