SubjectRe: kconfig - a suggestion how to fix the select issue
On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:38:48PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:04:29PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > If you followed my description then you would see
> > > that the visibility of C are determineded by the dependencies
> > > of C (none in this case) and the dependencies of the symbol
> > > it requires. In this case B. B dpens on A and A equals m so B is
> > > visible thus C is visible.
> >
> > *shudder*
> So let me explain it with some other words:
> B is visible because A=m
> C is visible because B is visible.
> Simple.

I understand what you are saying.

The problem is that with A=m, C=y built-in code enabled by C cannot
access the code enabled by A which can result in a build error.

> > > Lets try to agree on the semantics with bools first please.
> > > When we have that in place lets extend it to modular - OK?
> >
> > I doubt the "extension" works this way since most of the interesting
> > cases are with tristates.
> >
> > But OK, here's some fun with bools:
> >
> > config X86
> > def_bool y
> >
> > config A
> > bool "a"
> >
> > config B
> > bool "b"
> > depends on A
> >
> > config D
> > bool "d"
> > depends on !B if X86
> >
> > config E
> > bool "e"
> >
> > config C
> > bool "c"
> > depends on D || E
> > requires B
> >
> > Given:
> > - CONFIG_A=y
> > - CONFIG_B=n
> > - CONFIG_D=y
> > - CONFIG_E=n
> >
> > Will C be visible?
> The above has a syntax error. A 'depends on' cannot have an
> if caluse.

I know I'm bad at the syntax when I'm not trying stuff myself.
depends on !B || !X86
is the same and should be the correct syntax.

Or make it just
depends on !B

The problem is not the syntax, the problem is whether C should be
visible, and what happens if the user enables it.

> And I did not get your point either.
>
> Are you trying to say that we cannot improve kconfig to better
> express the dependencies or what is your point?

My point is that all this "select follows depenencies" is easily said,
but doing it in a way that it's better than what we have today is
nontrivial.

I'm not even sure whether the best solution might be to do it manually
like we are doing with SSB_POSSIBLE, but if I'd start to convert stuff
to that I'm sure many maintainers will say "no, kconfig is broken" and
even reject patches.

If you think I'm wrong implement your suggestion and then handle all the
cornercases. It might or might not work. I'm just saying that it isn't
an easy problem.

> Puzzeled...
>
> Sam

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-05-04 13:59    [W:0.107 / U:0.188 seconds]