SubjectRe: OOM policy, overcommit control, and soft limits
Alan Cox wrote:
>> In other words, I reckon I have on the order of a gigabyte of virtual
>> address space, which has been malloc'ed or equivalent, but is not used
>> and therefore requires no memory resource (ram or swap).
>>

> No need to reckon. The committed_as in the proc file should give a rough
> value.
>
> Alan

Thanks for the education. I shall read up on the other numbers in
/proc/meminfo as well.

In that case I was overly pessimistic. I was only committed around the
512M mark. It jumps up to 750M if I open Amarok and Firefox though. At
times I've run more - I would guess I can contrive combinations which go
above 1000M.

I've not had an OOM event on this machine. I have had runaway
development-related loads, causing thrashing (hitting swap) out of
control, but I can't really comment. I don't remember what caused it
exactly. Plus I'm swapping to a Flash drive; a Flash specific IO
scheduler might have coped better (than noop) and made it easier to recover.

Alan

  Last update: 2008-05-31 18:53    [W:0.657 / U:0.080 seconds]