    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] How many contributors are we losing
    On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 03:05:12PM -0700, Luck, Tony wrote:
    > Probably some of them moved on to do different things (or were
    > promoted to manage people who still work on Linux).

    There's an interesting unspoken assumption here that people who stop
    contributing patches which end up in the Linux kernel mailing "no
    longer working on the kernel", or "no longer working in Linux", or
    "left the community", or (even more of a stretch) people that we have
    somehow driven away or that we have failed because they didnt come

    Looking at the list.....

    > Werner Almesberger

    Original author of LILO, does networking research using the
    Linux kernel. (Has shown up and presented papers at various
    conferences such as FISL and

    > Stephen Tweedie

    Still working at Red Hat, my last knowledge was that he was in
    Xen hell.....

    > Kylene Jo Hall

    Member of IBM Linux Technology Center, Security Team.
    The security team does a lot more than kernel work....

    > Dustin Kirkland

    Was a member of the IBM Linux Technology Center, now working
    for Canonical on Ubuntu's Enterprise Server Team

    > Suparna Bhattacharya

    Member of the IBM Linux Technology Center, on leave to get an
    advanced degree.

    > Junio C Hamano

    Git maintainer. :-)

    So lots of stories, and there are plenty of people who are still
    working at a company doing Linux work; they're just not happening to
    contribute to a kernel. They might be fixing bugs for customers, or
    forward porting Xen for an enterprise distro, or many other things
    that are intimately related to the Linux kernel --- just not in ways
    that result in patches into mainline.

    So if we really want some hard numbers on how many kernel developers
    we are "losing", we would probably have to try to contact some of
    these people and see if they are willing to answer a survey. But
    given your numbers, I really don't think it's as big a problem as some
    people make it out to be....

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-31 00:59    [W:0.025 / U:153.988 seconds]