    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2008-discuss] Fixing the Kernel Janitors project
    On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 04:17:19PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > Having been stopped a couple of times last year when trying to bring
    > some technical subjects for the reason that they were "off topic, KS is
    > for process" I tend to agree :-)

    We did have some technical topics last year. So I don't think the KS
    will ever be purely for process.

    > There are some things that are hard to get through the list, or even
    > IRC, such as wanting to reorganize some part of the core and wanting to
    > get "live" input and discussion with most arch maintainers.
    > There are other areas like that which would benefit from that kind of
    > hard core tech discussion face to face.

    I agree that sometimes face-to-face discussions are crucial to
    resolving technical issues. The problem is that we try to nail down
    the agenda a 3-4 weeks ahead of time, and realistically if a
    particular topic requires certain stakeholders to be invited, we need
    to decide that we're going to do that topic at least 8-9 weeks in
    advance, maybe more, so those people can make travel plans and/or get
    travel approvals. And there is always the chance the topic will
    resolve itself via e-mail. So the trick is being able to identifying
    the topics where a face-to-face discussion really will be useful.

    > However, on the other hand, KS is only 2 days, which doesn't leave room
    > for that much stuff. And I don't think splitting into sub-groups or
    > mini-summits is necessarily the answers. There are some areas where it's
    > useful to do the tech beatup -with- everybody in the room.

    First of all, if there is interest in holding some topic-area specific
    mini-summits on Sunday before the Kernel Summit, we may be able to
    scare up some space. So if there is interest, please let me know.

    Secondly, one of the things which has been suggested in the past is
    that we move the BOF's into an afternoon session slot, and maybe push
    the last session to run until 7pm, perhaps. That might make it easier
    for people to attend BOF's on the spur of the moment --- which might
    be useful in some cases where there is only 10 or so people you need
    to hash our some issue.

    And, of course, we try to schedule plenty of break time so that some
    of these discussions can happy in the hallway.

    Do any of these possibilities sound particularly attractive or likely
    to address your concerns? If so, which ones do you think we should
    try this year, as an experiment?

    - Ted

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-29 14:49    [W:0.027 / U:29.136 seconds]