SubjectRe: [RFC: 2.6 patch] let GROUP_SCHED depend on BROKEN
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 11:47:38AM +0200, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> <quote>
> config EXPERIMENTAL
> bool "Prompt for non-development and/or absolutely complete code/drivers"
---help---
> Some of the various things that Linux supports (such as network
> drivers, file systems, network protocols, etc.) can be in a state
> of development where the functionality, stability, or the level of
> testing is not yet high enough for general use. This is usually
> known as the "alpha-test" phase among developers. If a feature is
> currently in alpha-test, then the developers usually discourage
> uninformed widespread use of this feature by the general public to
> avoid "Why doesn't this work?" type mail messages. However, active
> testing and use of these systems is welcomed. Just be aware that it

If you take this text seriously then companies like Redhat advertise
their enterprise distributions with alpha-test quality software...

Facts are:
- as long as we allow hardware drivers to depend on EXPERIMENTAL we
force many users to enable EXPERIMENTAL
- the EXPERIMENTAL dependencies in many areas of the kernel are so
out of sync with the actual code quality that the presence or absence
of such a dependency isn't a clear indication of the current status

> -Mike

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-05-27 12:33    [W:0.039 / U:2.472 seconds]