    SubjectRe: [RFC: 2.6 patch] let GROUP_SCHED depend on BROKEN
    On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 04:22:12PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > To make sure i'm accurate about this i just spent 15 minutes
    > reviewing all your past commits to the Linux kernel using
    > "git-shortlog --author=Bunk", and the rather sobering truth
    > appears to be that:
    >
    > - you've _never_ before fixed a complex Linux kernel bug/problem

    What is a "complex kernel problem"?

    Just looking a bit through the last month:

    E.g. http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/14/498 was not horribly complex, but
    for 3 days noone else had bothered to answer the request of the driver
    maintainer for help with this regression.

    As you yourself said http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/676733
    is something where I spotted a real bug just by reading through patches
    on linux-kernel. The bug might or might not have been complex, but since
    someone spotted it just when reading through patches (it's entirly
    possible someone else might have spotted it as well, but we will never
    know for sure) it never became a bug in any tree.

    And for me stuff like http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/28/561 isn't complex,
    but quite frankly my impression is that I'm currently one out of only
    two people understanding our Kconfig files good enough for fixing such
    stuff.

    > - you've never before written a _single_ Linux kernel feature
    > - you've never before written a _single_ Linux driver

    True.

    I am not a coder.
    I am just a cleanup and QA guy.

    I know that this makes me a persona non grata for some people on this
    list, but I prefer doing what I'm good at (bugfixes and cleanup
    patches, aiming at not introducing new bugs) over doing what I'm
    bad at (writing code).

    > - you've never before done any true self-driven functional
    > changes/improvements to Linux

    I'd claim having started regression tracking (which was 100% self-driven)
    was a functional improvement for Linux kernel development - and I don't
    care that you disagree on this.

    > Ingo

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-05-27 19:59    [W:0.031 / U:5.108 seconds]