    SubjectRe: [RFC] OpenFirmware bindings for the MMC-over-SPI driver
    On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 1:56 PM, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net> wrote:
    > On Friday 23 May 2008, Anton Vorontsov wrote:
    >>
    >> This is second attempt to write the OpenFirmware bindings for the
    >> MMC-over-SPI (and SPI bindings in general).

    > I think a wrapper to encapsulate all the OF-specific knowledge makes
    > much sense here.
    >
    > The only thing that looks odd to me about this is that the wrapper
    > is a spi_device rather than an of_device. To me it makes more sense
    > to just have an of_device setting up the right spi_device. (Though
    > maybe I missed some discussion about why that can't work.)

    It's not so much that I can't work; more like it's not necessary.
    of_platform bus is by no means the prescribed way to work with the
    device tree. In fact, there is talk about moving away from
    of_platform bus entirely and using
    platform_device/spi_device/i2c_device/etc directly instead since the
    of_platform bus is mostly a clone of the platform bus with different
    device binding semantics.

    As Anton's patch shows, it is straight forward to add a binding that
    can extract the platform data out of the device tree without the
    overhead of adding an additional of_platform bus device & driver pair.

    Cheers,
    g.

    --
    Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
    Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.

      Last update: 2008-05-25 06:55    [W:0.026 / U:29.932 seconds]