    SubjectRe: Inserting code from userspace to kernel space
    On Thu, 22 May 2008, Bosko Radivojevic wrote:

    > I'm looking for a way to insert code from user space to the kernel
    > space, but without using kernel module. Actually, we are working on a
    > system that has to allow end user to change part of code (one or two
    > functions) that is executed from the kernel space.
    > For now we have two different kernel modules, one exporting a function
    > which another module uses. Process of compiling kernel module is quite
    > ineligible for standard end user (along with the requirement to
    > support multi platform cross compiling) compared to just cross
    > compiling a simple code that doesn't use any libraries than libc.

    Why? You don't have to recompile everything, just link a module before
    loaing it -- a part containing the function can be one object file, the
    rest of the module (a wrapper) is compiled once for a particular kernel
    version, and both are linked together, producing a module valid for a
    particular kenel version.

    This is how most of proprietary drivers are distributed, and Ubuntu has a
    whole infrastructure around that mechanism that simplifies transition
    between versions.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-25 08:21    [W:0.024 / U:19.604 seconds]