SubjectRe: Top 10 bugs/warnings for the week of March 23rd, 2008
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> Per file statistics
>> [I'd love to borrow Linus' gitstat stuff for this to get a nicer presentation
>> of the per file/directory data]
>
> The algorithm is very simple. Just sort your filenames alphabetically, and
> then you can do it with a simple 40-line recursive function and a trivial
> data structure. See the git sources, diff.c: gather_dirstat().
>
> Or just do "git show 7df7c019c2a46672c12a11a45600cdc698e03029" in git to
> show the commit that introduces --dirstat.
>
> (In fact, much of the dirstat code is the thing that turns it into
> percentages, so it has some setup code that first calculates the total
> number of changes, and the printout code spends effort in generating the
> percentage (well, permille) and not showing insignificant stuff - whether
> you'd want/need that for this is debatable)

ok thanks I'll take a look at this; I might have to convert it to php (sigh ;)

>> Rank 1: __register_sysctl_paths
>> Reported 1260 times (2491 total reports)
>> [tainted] Duplicate /proc registration. Bug in the madwifi driver
>> (Occasionally seen in the parport driver)
>> This oops was last seen in version 2.6.25.4, and first seen in 2.6.25-rc3.
>> More info:
>> http://www.kerneloops.org/searchweek.php?search=__register_sysctl_paths
>
> Btw, can you try to call these warnings, not oopses? It's not an oops, and
> it's not even reported as an oops in the overviews on the top-level things
> on the web-site, so your scripts do know it's not an oops - but then in
> this summary and in the "detailed information" reports it's called an oops
> again.
>
> It's a WARN_ON, and yeah, while they can be bad, it's still different
> from an actual oops.

I'll see how to do this; the complex case of "some are oopses some are warn_ons" I probably can just deal with
by prioritization.
(but I do track the "class" so the info is there in the database)

  Last update: 2008-05-23 19:37    [W:0.087 / U:0.132 seconds]