    SubjectRe: Number of bugs - statistics
    On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> wrote:
    > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:20:46AM -0700, Natalie Protasevich wrote:

    >> > Andrew sees and handles the majority of incoming bug reports.
    >> > Ask him whether he agress with this.
    >> >
    >> > And ALSA alone has 2000 open bug reports, which makes the open ACPI or
    >> > SCSI bug numbers relatively irrelevant in any "number of bugs"
    >> > statistics.

    >> > Where do we have data for 2.6.25 covering all kinds of bugs?
    >> >
    >> > Regressions reported before 2.6.25 and Oops'es etc. are only a small
    >> > part of the picture.
    >>
    >> There is no unified tracking mechanism as of now, this is a big
    >> problem. There are some projects that have ideas about universal bug
    >> tracking, for example some people from KDE team expressed their ideas,
    >> I'm planning to get back with them.
    >> It would be great if all reports from known and unknown bugzillas were
    >> piped into one place and sorted out,
    >
    > Not everyone uses Bugzilla (e.g. ALSA uses Mantis).
    >
    > And the majority of bug reports might still go only to mailing lists and
    > not into any bugtracker at all. As long as this happens the data is
    > simply not available.

    True. It was argued that mailing list is more effective that bugzilla
    as a collaboration mechanism while working on a bug. But if it was a
    way to record it into bugzilla "seemlessly" (as Andrew tried to
    enforce, by asking those on the list to add CC to bugme-deamon) this
    would be perfect.
    Another one to implement...

    >> by various criteria: ALSA bugs
    >> are numerous, which is not important for most enterprise server users
    >> who would completely disregard this category, whereas desktop users
    >> will probably concentrate on those more than any other.
    >
    > The majority of machines running Linux most likely runs with ARM CPUs.
    >
    > Show me any public source you want to use for getting serious data for
    > this area.

    There is no one, except dispersed reports and ... appropriate
    implementation involving search engine comes to mind.

    >> So the answer
    >> to question about kernel stability would be more adequate depending on
    >> who's asking.
    >
    > You must not confuse "number of reported bugs" with "kernel stability" -
    > these two can be quite decoupled.

    Number of existing, proven and prioritized bugs maybe better to say.
    I think there is a correlation.
    --Natalie

    >> --Natalie
    >
    > cu
    > Adrian
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
    > of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
    > "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    > Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-05-22 19:11    [W:0.034 / U:0.100 seconds]