    SubjectRe: [RFC] x86: xsave/xrstor support, ucontext_t extensions
    Suresh Siddha wrote:

    >> An ugly workaround could be to start clearing one of these fields,
    >> and say that the data there is only valid for kernels >= 2.6.26.
    >> (I said it was ugly...)
    >>
    >> Or we go back to stashing a flag in uc_flags (which is kosher),
    >> and try to figure out how to mark non-rt sigframes.
    >
    > This issue of not-zeroing, is present in only 64bit kernels and for 64bit apps,
    > right?
    >
    > 64bit app signal handling uses only rt_frame, so we can add an uc_flag for
    > them and for 32bit apps, kernel was always zero'ing the reserved bits
    > at the end of _fpstate.
    >
    > In short, for non-rt frames, they can check the reserved bits at the end
    > of fpstate frame and for rt-frames (perhaps even for 32bit rt frame handling)
    > apps can check for uc_flag aswell, for extended state presence. Is this
    > good enough?

    Okay, trying to close on this :)

    I would suggest using the uc_flag for the rt frames, and simply rely on
    the OSXSAVE flag for non-rt signal frames. It a rather sucky approach
    (as previously discussed), but since any sane user of these fields (as
    opposed to just relying on the kernel to save/restore) should use the
    SIGINFO frames, I don't see a problem *as long as it's possible to get
    the information* -- any solution which demands performance should just
    turn on SIGINFO and be happy.

    The biggest potential problem with this that I see is that relying on
    CPUID can mess with certain virtualization solutions. Another option to
    accomplish the same thing would be to have a system call (preferrably a
    prctl, since it is at least in theory personality-dependent) to query
    what information is included in the fpstate data - since it will always
    be the same for any particular kernel.

    Thoughts?

    -hpa

      Last update: 2008-05-22 02:35    [W:0.034 / U:2.748 seconds]