    SubjectRe: Moving sound/* to drivers/ ?
    On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:20:50PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > While we are at the issue ALSA HG <-> GIT transition...
    >
    > One thing that annoys me sometimes is that the sound driver codes are
    > on a different subdirectory than other normal drivers, namely under
    > /sound. I don't remember exactly why it came there, but this often
    > makes people forget to change the necessary code for the sound
    > subsystem, or slip from the statistics (I'm not sure whether Linus
    > counted sound/* with recent his posts).
    >
    > If I understand correctly, with git, we can move the files in
    > relatively little costs. So, what about moving sound/* back to
    > drivers/sound/* or drivers/media/sound/*?

    Sounds good.

    > Of course, the primary question is whether it's really worth.
    > The obvious drawback is that patches won't be applicable after the
    > move. So, if we do it, doing at the last seems practical. But, this
    > can be a bit problem with keeping such a change on linux-next until
    > the next merge...
    >
    > And, another question is to where. drivers/sound or
    > drivers/media/sound, or whatever.

    Under drivers/media/ it would only generate confusion regarding who's
    responsible for what.

    But drivers/sound/ sounds good.

    The only possible problem that comes into my mind is to check what
    happens with the link order.

    > Any comments appreciated.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Takashi

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-05-22 00:29    [W:0.023 / U:1.484 seconds]