    SubjectRe: Suggestion About Kernel Releases
    On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@netone.net.tr> wrote:
    > Pekka Enberg wrote:

    > > On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org>
    > wrote:
    > >

    > > > what would you want to accomplish with your idea?
    > > >

    > > And how is it different from what we do now, modulo the -test1 postfix
    > > to the name?
    > >

    > Please see my reply to Arjan's post.

    I think you're missing Arjan and Pekka's point: your proposal doesn't
    _really_ offer any change to the current procedure. It might make you
    feel more warm and fuzzy but in practice:
    1) Linus would still release a kernel (be it to -testX or "final")
    when he and others feel it is time
    2) The stable team will track fixes and release stable kernels as needed

    The only thing that is different in your approach is the "final"
    release would theoretically be more well tested. Unfortunately that
    is not a valid assumption because the wider Linux audience likely
    won't embrace the latest kernel until it is "final" anyway. This
    delayed uptake can/will result in early stable fixes.

    Again, no real change... we know that the "final" release that Linus
    makes _could_ have some minor oversight that will be fixed fairly
    quickly by the stable team.

    Mike

      Last update: 2008-05-21 16:35    [W:0.022 / U:0.668 seconds]