    SubjectRe: Tracking and crediting bug reporters

    Pavel Machek <> writes:

    > Hi!
    >> So here's what we would like to try instead. Whenever somebody sends up a
    >> patch fixing a reported bug, the name of the person who reported the bug
    >> would be immortalized with this tag:
    >> Reported-by: A. Bug Reporter <>
    >> In particular, reporters who work with the developers toward the resolution
    >> of the bug should be thanked in this way. If we wanted to take things
    > I believe we have enough tags already. Plus, if the reporter really
    > works with the developer till the end, there's already accepter
    > Tested-by: flag, right?

    I would more argue to remove Tested-by completely because it does not
    tell much. Code is not bugfree just because someone compiled and ran
    it. And if it breaks on some other systems later on, what does it help
    if you know someone tested it? It still breaks. And you can not even
    blame the tester because of his luck of a working configuration.

    While a Reported-by in this case credits a person reporting a bug. Just
    that. And perhaps that the report was good enough to make a fix.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-21 15:37    [W:0.022 / U:14.664 seconds]