    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] HG -> GIT migration
    On 21-05-08 14:37, Takashi Iwai wrote:

    > At Wed, 21 May 2008 14:30:31 +0200,
    > Rene Herman wrote:

    >> $ git remote show sound-2.6
    >> * remote sound-2.6
    >> Tracked remote branches
    >> master
    >> What's the status of that one now? Should I continue pulling that one or
    >> should I switch to the new alsa-kernel GIT repo? I want to pull it into
    >> a Linus clone tree...
    > We are working on this right now. alsa.git is far currently behind my
    > tree.
    > One problem we hit is about multiple committers and rebase. If you do
    > git-rebase, the commiter information is touched although the sign-off
    > isn't updated. git-rebase looks apparently designed for the
    > single-commiter model.

    It's "worse" than that; rebasing is designed for a _private_ development
    model. git-rebase is a very handy tool for people like myself (people
    without a downstream that is) and it basically enables the quilt model
    of a stack of patches on top of git but public trees that have people
    pulling from them should generally not rebase or everyone who _is_
    pulling finds a different tree each time.

    Linus is vehement about this also. There have a few threads about it and
    the most recent was:

    I'm also not an experienced git user (not other than in my own leafnode
    developer mode, certainly) but I expect Linus might not terribly mind
    answering a few questions about the model -- ALSA is a significant
    subsystem and it switching to GIT might even make for a nice "this is
    how you do that as a subsystem" treatise...

    (ie, also added linux-kernel)

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-21 15:05    [W:0.022 / U:1.616 seconds]