SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] HG -> GIT migration
On 21-05-08 14:37, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Wed, 21 May 2008 14:30:31 +0200,
> Rene Herman wrote:

>> $ git remote show sound-2.6
>> * remote sound-2.6
>> Tracked remote branches
>> master
>>
>> What's the status of that one now? Should I continue pulling that one or
>> should I switch to the new alsa-kernel GIT repo? I want to pull it into
>> a Linus clone tree...
>
> We are working on this right now. alsa.git is far currently behind my
> tree.
>
> One problem we hit is about multiple committers and rebase. If you do
> git-rebase, the commiter information is touched although the sign-off
> isn't updated. git-rebase looks apparently designed for the
> single-commiter model.

It's "worse" than that; rebasing is designed for a _private_ development
model. git-rebase is a very handy tool for people like myself (people
without a downstream that is) and it basically enables the quilt model
of a stack of patches on top of git but public trees that have people
pulling from them should generally not rebase or everyone who _is_
pulling finds a different tree each time.

Linus is vehement about this also. There have a few threads about it and
the most recent was:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/17/190

I'm also not an experienced git user (not other than in my own leafnode
developer mode, certainly) but I expect Linus might not terribly mind
answering a few questions about the model -- ALSA is a significant
subsystem and it switching to GIT might even make for a nice "this is
how you do that as a subsystem" treatise...

(ie, also added linux-kernel)

Rene.

  Last update: 2008-05-21 15:05    [W:0.086 / U:1.224 seconds]