SubjectRe: [git head] Should X86_PAT really default to yes?
Date
On Friday, May 02, 2008 2:55 pm Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:
> [...]

Hm, yeah that could be. strace would tell us.

> What may be happening:
> 1) process A mmaps /dev/mem and gets UC_MINUS
> 2) Changes the page table to make pg_prot WB
> 3) Does a fork to create process B
> 4) While copying the vma, we go through map_devmem request WB, but get
> UC_MINUS back
> 5) We are not changing vma pg_prot to new value at this point (we should
> change this), so one more round of errors will be there when forked
> process exits.
>
> Again, this should not have any side-effect like the band etc. It just a
> "friendly warning". It should go away when X moves to using WC or does
> not use the mprotect workaround to make pg_prot WB.

More recent versions of X will use sysfs rather than /dev/mem (though we're
still using the mprotect hack there to give us UC-), so yeah this warning
should already be gone in more recent builds.

Jesse

  Last update: 2008-05-03 00:09    [W:0.090 / U:0.036 seconds]