    SubjectRe: Top kernel oopses/warnings for the week of May 16th 2008
    Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > The reason I touched that code, is that a change introduced during
    > 2.6.25-rc initialized the isa dma pool even if not necessary and that
    > broke the reserved-ram patch that requires no __GFP_DMA
    > allocations. There was no crash in 2.6.24 based kernels, the
    > regression started in 2.6.25-rc.

    I'd not really call "breaks external patch" a regression ;)

    What we really ought to be doing is always initialize the pool, from
    the right process context. However, we need to make it such that we
    can detect that there is zero __GFP_DMA memory in the system, and bail
    out in that case. Doing it on-demand is just not going to fly; by that
    time it's just too late (the pool may have been eaten already, the context
    might be nasty to do allocations from etc etc).

    the sata_nv driver has to do it on finding a cdrom; afaik it has something
    like a different DMA mask for disks and cdroms, and it scales down once you
    insert a CD.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-05-17 16:59    [W:0.021 / U:14.328 seconds]