    SubjectRe: detecting kernel mem leak

    Christoph Lameter a écrit :
    > On Tue, 13 May 2008, Stéphane ANCELOT wrote:
    >> I kept my kernel running with few applications for 5 days , doing
    >> nothing more than backing up few kb of data on disk and refresh few X apps.
    >> Ater five days the global memory available go down from 24Mb to 8Mb ...
    > That is normal. Linux tries to put all memory to use and will free on
    > demand.
    >> The are some signifiant changes in slabinfo but now, I do not know where
    >> to search ?
    > Compile the slabinfo tool.
    > gcc -o slabinfo linux/Documentation/vm/slabinfo.c
    > Then you can do
    > slabinfo -T
    > to get an overview of how much is used by slabs. But I do not see that
    > slabs are using an excessive amount. So toying around with slabinfo is
    > not going to get you anywhere.
    1) slabinfo tells me SYSFS support for SLUB not active

    In the kernel, there is SLAB or SLUB , my kernel is at this time
    configured for SLAB allocator.

    it is documented SLUB minimizes cache line usage.
    Do you think I have to switch to SLUB ?

    2) regarding memory debugging, your reply and some mesages told it was
    normal the memory was growing (with ext3 buffer_heads...) and released
    on demand.
    This sounds to me it becomes VERY VERY difficult telling if my system
    is STABLE or NOT. Is there a way to bypass it ?
    I assume I have to do some kind of small program trying to allocate
    almost the full remaining memory available at startup to empty caches ?

    Best Regards

      Last update: 2008-05-16 11:05    [W:0.025 / U:47.264 seconds]