    SubjectRe: [GIT pull] x86 fixes for 2.6.26

    On Fri, 16 May 2008, David Miller wrote:

    > I think I merged from Linus's tree only 3 or 4 times maximum since I
    > created that tree way back when the 2.6.26 merge window opened up.

    Basically, a rule-of-thumb would be "once a week is reasonable", but on
    the other hand, if you have actual conflicts, more often is fine, and if
    you know your area isn't impacted (eg most filesystems), you'd probably
    only try to synchronize at release points or something like that.

    The reason to avoid doing overly many merges is

    - merging with me at random points is usually not a good idea anyway,
    unless you have a really strong reason for it. Yes, my tree is fairly
    stable, but still..

    (This also implies that merging with my *tags* is usually a better idea
    than merging with some random point in time, and is one reason it makes
    sense to try to merge with major releases rather than anything else)

    - the history just looks cleaner and is easier to follow when there
    aren't criss-crossing merges.

    This may not matter most of the time, but it *does* make a difference
    when doing "git bisect". I don't know about others, but I often do "git
    bisect visualize" then I have some totally unknown bug and I'm trying
    to guess what's going on - it's a great way to give people a heads up
    saying "ok, I'm in the middle of a bisection run, and it _looks_ like
    it may be due to you".

    So trying to have fairly clean history is worth it (it also makes it
    slightly faster to bisect when you don't have lots of criss-cross merges,
    but that's a fairly small factor).

    > If users, or even you, want to get a bug fix from Linus's tree or check
    > if there will be merge conflicts, just create a test branch and play
    > with such things there.

    Yes. I think you guys already have a test branch for the "join it all
    together" case, don't you?

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-05-17 03:41    [W:0.033 / U:0.540 seconds]