    SubjectRe: POHMELFS high performance network filesystem. Transactions, failover, performance.
    Hi,

    Jamie Lokier wrote:

    > Fwiw, I've been working on what started as a distributed database that
    > is coming to be a filesystem too. It has many qualities of both,
    > hopefully the best ones. I'm aiming for high LAN file performance
    > similar to what you report with POHMELFS and would expect from any
    > modern fs, while also supporting database style transactions and
    > coherent queries, in a self-organising distributed system that handles
    > LAN/WAN/Internet each at their best. Mention of Paxos stirred me to
    > reply - a relative of that is in there somewhere. I have a long way
    > to go before a release.
    >
    > If anyone is working on something similar, I would be delighted to
    > hear from them.
    >
    > It scares me that I'm actually trying to do this. But very exciting
    > it is too.
    >
    > It seems there's quite a bit of interesting work on Linux in this area
    > right now, with BTRFS and CRFS too.

    I am currently working on mysqlfs which is a fuse fs which can be used
    in conjunction with mysql-ndb cluster.

    You can find the details here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqlfs/
    and a howto (in german, though) here:
    http://www.netz-guru.de/2008/04/03/mysqlfs-mit-mysql-ndb-cluster-als-verteiltes-dateisystem/

    It is working quite well, but still lacks of caching which makes it slow
    if your connection between the DB-servers have high latency/many hops.

    I don't know BTRFS nor CRFS or POHMELFS but i will take a look at them.

    Hope you'll find that usefull.

    --
    Florian Wiessner

      Last update: 2008-05-14 03:43    [W:3.857 / U:0.056 seconds]