SubjectRe: Slow DOWN, please!!!

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Al Viro wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 10:41:21AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Same goes for "we should all just spend time looking at each others
> > patches and trying to find bugs in them". That's not a solution, that's a
> > drug-induced dream you're living in.
>
> As one of those obviously drug-addled freaks who _are_ looking for bugs...
> Thank you so fucking much ;-/

That's not what I meant, and I think you know it.

Of course as many people as possible should look at other peoples patches
and comment on them. But saying so won't _make_ it so. And it's also
something that we have done since day #1 _anyway_, so anybody who thinks
that it would improve code quality from where we already are, should
explain how he thinks the increase would be caused, and how it would
happen.

So when we're looking at improvement suggestions, they should be real
suggestions that have realistic goals, not just wishes. And they
shouldn't be the things we *already* do, because then they wouldn't
be improvements.

In other words: do people have realistic ideas for how to make others
spend _more_ time looking at patches? And not just _wishing_ people did
that?

Linus

  Last update: 2008-05-01 20:31    [W:0.445 / U:0.424 seconds]