SubjectRe: [Regression: 2.6.25-rc5: Blank Screen: Intel 945]
Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Yeah, seems pretty weird. Given that you see it w/o the fb stuff loaded as
> well and we still have a few open bugs against the intel X driver regarding
> VT switch & mode programming, I don't think this is a real kernel regression.
> It's more likely that some timing or memory layout changed subtly and is
> causing to to hit one of our existing bugs more frequently that you did
> before. Can you file a bug against the intel X driver at
> bugs.freedesktop.org so we can track it there? Unless we can find a way to
> reproduce it reliably it'll probably take a long time to fix, but we don't
> want to lose it either...

Well, I'll file a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org, but if you don't think
it's a kernel regression then I'll wait until the final release of
2.6.25 comes out (unless you _really_ need me to file it sooner).

I still think it's somehow related to something that changed in the
kernel from v24 to v25 because I've never had it happen with a kernel
version less that 2.6.25. You say it's a timing issue; I've searched and
found two things that have changed in v25: Preemptive RCU and I/O Port
Delay.

I've enabled both preemptive RCU and no I/O port delay. I've recompiled
with both disabled and found that the blank screen _still_ happens. So,
I'm figuring that _maybe_ by adding these options the kernel developers
needed to change something that exposes something related to the intel
X.org driver that's no longer necessarily true
(or something like that - do you get what I'm trying to say).

This is what I have in my config:
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
> CONFIG_IO_DELAY_NONE=y

By the way is the intel driver that you work on the same that's enabled by:
> CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m
> CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

Or is there another X.org intel driver? And if so how are they
(agp/drm/X.org) related?

Justin